Crispy Pork Belly Sandwich with Lemon Relish
|1 (1 kg)||pc||MONTEREY PORK BELLY, skinless and boneless|
|1||pc||red onion, sliced|
|1/3||cup||iodized rock salt|
|1||tsp||all spice powder|
|3||pc||lemons, peeled and seeded, pulp chopped|
|iodized fine salt and pepper, to taste|
- Place all brine ingredients in a medium sized stockpot. Boil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to completely cool. Place whole pork belly into the brine and marinate overnight inside the chiller.
- Combine rub ingredients in a small pan then toast over medium heat. Transfer spices into a mortar then pound spices until ground. Drain meat from brine then rub with spices. Let sit for 2 hours in chiller.
- In a medium saucepot, combine onion, celery, carrots, white wine and chicken stock. Simmer over medium heat. Add pork belly then cook until tender. Transfer meat onto a tray to dry and cool.
- Heat oil in a pan. Slice belly into 3” thick pieces then deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown. Slice into 1/2” thick pieces.
- Combine relish ingredients in a bowl. Chill until ready to use.
- To assemble sandwich, grill bread slices until heated through. Top with onion slices, arugula and a slice of fried pork. Top with relish. Serve.
Makes 10-12 sandwiches.