Fragrant Noodle Soup
Tingle your guests' senses by serving a bowl of fragrant beef noodle soup. Made with selected herbs and spices, let this soup excite the child within.
|1/2||kg||MONTEREY BEEF SIRLOIN, sliced thinly|
|3||tbsp||fish sauce (patis)|
|3||tbsp||lemon or lime juice|
|20||grams||flat rice noodles|
|1/4||cup||fish sauce (patis)|
|6||stalks||spring onions, cut into 1/2” length|
|3||cups||bean sprouts, rinsed and drained|
|1||cup||finely shredded Chinese cabbage|
|1/4||cup||coarsely chopped mint|
|1/4||cup||coarsely chopped cilantro|
|1/4||cup||chopped roasted unsalted peanuts|
|1||pc||lemon or lime, cut into 6 wedges|
|mint and cilantro for garnish|
|1/3||cup||fish sauce (patis)|
|1||tsp||red pepper flakes|
|1||tbsp||lemon or lime juice|
|1||pc||small carrot, thinly sliced|
1. Mix all marinade ingredients together in a stainless steel bowl. Marinate beef for 1 to 2 hours inside the refrigerator. Drain and set aside. Discard marinade.
2. Drop rice noodles into a large pot of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 1 minute in boiling water. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
3. In a saucepot, combine beef stock, fish sauce, ginger and garlic. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
4. Combine ingredients for chili sauce and mix well. Set aside.
5. Bring soup to a boil before serving. Remove ginger and add spring onions. Season with fish sauce if desired. Arrange rice noodles, top with beef, bean sprouts and Chinese cabbage. Pour in broth and top with spring onions. Garnish with mint, cilantro, peanuts and lemon wedges. Spoon a little of chili sauce to taste.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.