Star Banana Brown Betty
|2 1⁄2||cups||bread crumbs, plain or made from 6 oz. stale sweet rolls|
|8||tbsp||melted STAR MARGARINE|
|1||cup||MAGNOLIA PURE FRESH MILK|
|2||pieces||MAGNOLIA BROWN EGGS|
|2||tbsps||MAGNOLIA ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR|
|4||pieces||firm-ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds Additional melted Star Margarine for drizzling|
1. Make crumb mixture: Mix together bread crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted margarine.
2. Position a rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350ºF.
3. Make filling: In a heavy pan, bring milk to a simmer.
4. In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt with an electric mixer until thick and pale yellow. Gradually pour half of the hot milk into egg mixture, whisking constantly, then add and stir this mixture slowly into the milk in the pan. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened (1 minute, do not overcook). Remove from heat and stir for 1 minute. Add vanilla, and fold bananas into hot custard.
5. Gently press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch baking dish. Top with banana mixture, then add the remaining crumbs. Bake until top has browned and starts to bubble (25 to 30 minutes).
6. Drizzle with additional melted Star Margarine for additional flavor.
To be updated on more Star Margarine recipes, please like our Facebook Page